03 December 2010

Snowed In

Rumor has it, Minnesota is known for being a forbidding place, replete with arctic wind, yetis, and good Lutherans making meatballs whilst wearing parkas. In Fact, I rode a penguin to work this morning.

And with good reason, because the heavens have opened themselves tonight, and spilt upon this land quite the wintry blanket. I, my penguin, and my Volkswagen had a fantastic time during rush hour getting from the mall back down across the river to the confines of suburbia this afternoon. Not wanting to mess with the entire population, who has seemingly forgotten what it means to drive in snow, I've spent my night in the company of Arthur Guinness and a snoring dog, lazily listening to Beatles albums and whatever else comes to my mind. Now, it's Vince Guaraldi.

Quite literally, there's a blizzard out. I know this, because prior to snoring, the aforementioned dog was quite adamant about having his daily Fun Activity. Of course, before I knew it, since I'm really just the dog's puppet (a leash is a kind of string of sorts...), I was outside in the bluster, bounding great leaps over the wake of the snowplow, skittering across hidden ice, trying to decipher just what the hell is so interesting about a tree, etc. And an appropriate experience it was, not only for the frosty communion with Nature, but also as a metaphorical event. Alas, it is that time of the year again, every law student's bane. Yes, tis' finals.

Of course, I probably shouldn't complain. I feel as if I've cut the Gordian knot that is the law school exam: I fear it no longer. They're now more now an exercise... just not the fun kind of exercise, like speed skating or jai alai, or some such frivolity. Rather, finals are akin to the inverse dumbell curl up, or whatever that abominable event was that always left me on the brink of throwing up. They're a test of endurance, more than anything. Not much to endure though, when you have but two two-hour, open book exams... Like I said, I have little to complain about.

My minor brush with doom for the week came yesterday, as my trusty laptop, which hasn't heretofore failed me, finally exacted its vengeance for all these pointless blog posts. Either that, or it was as angry as I was about the United States losing the 2022 World Cup bid (Qatar?! Seriously?!). But anyways, it decided to suck, and after many an hour spent in mall Apple stores, it is now well again... although with none of my files on it. Luckily, I had the foresight to back everything up on Monday, so in 24 hours, hopefully all be right again in the world. I can once again download Bill Bryson podcasts with reckless abandon. Or more accurately, keep writing about international commercial arbitration.

However, as a consequence of my computer's meltdown, I was probably unplugged (at least in the tangible keyboard sense), for the longest period in quite a while last night, which actually, was a shocking realization. As someone who likes to pride himself on his lack of digital obsession, it was a sobering wake up call, a necessary moment of self-awareness. I had been speaking with a Hamline alum at a networking event last night, and he specialized in digital forensics - he could basically get any information you can imagine from a smartphone. And he said something to me, he said that "people keep their lives in their pocket, in these devices." And I chuckled, and gladhanded, and took another sip of my beer - but that phrase kept me thinking as I sat without the use of my computer. It made me realize how I fidgeted with my phone, treating it like some sort of lifeline to the rest of humanity. My protestations to the contrary, the lawyer was right. I do keep my life in my pocket.

Whether that's good or bad, is for another post, another set of thoughts. It makes me want to be increasingly vigilant though. It seems to me, that even in an age where there are any number of digital distractions, and social media, there are an awful lot of opportunities to be incredibly lonely. I was amused the other day when I learned that there is apparently upwards of a $1 billion dollar industry for online gifts. Not like, I buy you a blender on Amazon and ship it to you - no, it's like I buy you a digital blender for your digital self on facebook, or some shit like that. Absolutely incredible.

In any event, it's still snowing, and the dog is still snoring. The jazz is still on, and the plastic deciduous tree has its Christmas lights on. For so much insanity, at least some things are right.

No comments:

Post a Comment