29 June 2009

Legal District Walking Tour

Today, after enduring another 4 hours of listening to our professor drone on about the Federal Arbitration Act, I went on a walking tour of "Legal London." I suspect that isn't on your typical list of London must sees.

It was somewhat fascinating though, I regret I didn't bring my camera. Apparently, our classroom is right on the edge of London's legal district, just a couple blocks from the Royal Courts of Justice and the Inns of Court. One thing I noted about their courtrooms, the judge seems like he is seated on top of a skyscraper. Seriously, the judge's seat just towers above the rest of the room. Really intense. I think I may go back some weekday to hear part of a case.

It's interesting how jealously they guard their legal heritage here. I mean, in America, people think the law is so arcane, so full of Latin terminology, so inaccessible. Here, you have grown men walking around wearing horsehair wigs, for no better reason than that that's the way things have been done for hundreds of years. I mean, everything in England has a much longer tradition than we have in the States, for obvious reasons. But in the midst of such a contemporary society, it just seems strange that they cling to such traditions. Another thing, apparently law school lectures used to happen in the dining hall, right after dinner. Back before they had lecture halls, you know. To this day, law students must attend 12 law "dinners" before they can graduate.

The woman who gave us the walking tour was a walking stereotype of every British accent you have ever heard. I don't know if she was intentionally just going over the top, but if she was, props to her. I was legitimately impressed. I wish I could have made some sort of recording of how she pronounced "London." Her accent was so thick, it sounded as if she was saying two different words. "Lon," and "dun."

Anyways, yes, the legal district. Not necessarily on the postcards, but fascinating nonetheless. I think I'll walk back one of these days after class and take some photos. Speaking of photos, I've been meaning to post some, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe later this week. Truth be told, I haven't taken many yet. Just some of the area around Queen Mary's, etc. I'm saving the real photos for later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment