25 June 2009

White Bread

I had really been hoping to avoid the kind of sweltering summer that so often plagues Minnesota. London, with all of its shitty rain, fog, and general unpleasant weather, seemed like the perfect place to avoid the heat. It must not be meant to be, for it has been around 75 or 80 degrees all week here. I suppose the sunshine is nice, but I was really looking forward to not feeling disgusting all the time.

I digress.

Yesterday, I reacquainted myself with central London by talking a walk from the Tower Bridge down to the London Eye. This walk along the south bank of the Thames was always one of my favorite things to do in London, so that was nice. We then walked up part of the Victoria Embankment to Parliament, then took a turn down Whitehall to Trafalgar Square. All in all, probably walked around 5 or 6 miles. Long day, that's for sure. As of yet, I haven't visited any museums or galleries, but I really feel that should be something I do on my own. I like to take my time, and I don't really want to have to feel rushed by another person's disinterestedness. I had a hard enough time yesterday when I went to a grocery store the other day with a few people. I don't understand how anyone leaves a grocery store in less than 15 minutes.

I'm trying to limit myself to buying only one meal a day, so I purchased some sandwich materials the other day. All their wheat bread was expired, so another student said I could have some of the white bread he had purchased the other day. Anyways, there are so many cliches about there regarding Americans and their sliced white bread. Let me tell you folks though, this was honestly the whitest bread I have ever seen. And it tasted like cardboard (legitimately). To add to the insult, the bread was packaged in this disgusting wax paper. Which, I don't know, I suppose it just made me feel extremely uncomfortable. Actual wheat bread is now a top priority.

I don't quite know if London has gotten the European memo about the value of quality bread. I know America hasn't yet, but judging so far, I can say we are not alone.

1 comment:

  1. Wow... based on this post I can tell that you're really excited to go to the British Museum with me today... :)

    ReplyDelete