19 May 2010

Books, books, books for pleasure?

Hello folks. You are now reading the blog of a man who has completed two years of law school. Truth be told, I haven't thought about it so much. It's just an incredible relief to not have to read about the limitation of liability act anymore. But since we're on the subject, and I am a maritime expert; no, I don't think the Deepwater Horizon will succeed.

In my semi-annual celebration of intellectual freedom, I bought a new book to read - for pleasure! That's right, as riveting as it is, Ian Macneil's relational theory of contracts just doesn't quite do it out in the sun. Instead, I'm reading Stephen Clarke's "A Year in the Merde." As some of you francophiles may know, "merde" is the beautiful tongue's word for "shit."



Needless to say, I've found it quite funny so far; in it's pseudo-true tale of an Englishman living in Paris amongst... sacre bleu! ... the French! But then again, I'm a fan of travel writing, especially hilarious travel writing about Europe. I think it's because I can relate to some of it. I've had a few of my own French foibles in particular. Still can't quite forget the amazing "American West" exhibit at the Metz Zoo.

What's the point of all this? There is no point. I've been spending my days as a gentlemen of leisure as of late, and I must admit, I fancy it quite a bit. In true British fashion, I tried my hand at making Pimm's the other day. Truth be told, it turned out pretty solid, though I think I need different lemonade, and cut up the orange slices a bit more daintily. Also need more morning jackets, women in big, silly hats, and drunken chavs brawling in the streets. Dammit, you just can't seem to find what you're looking for.

Tomorrow, I think I'm going to get up, and go on a biking sojourn. I have a couple things to think about, and nothing will help clear things up than a ride in the country. There's country around here, right? Farmington - I should hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment