27 October 2010

The Weather

Supposedly, Minnesotans are incredibly keen on talking about the weather. And you know, I have to admit, this is something I've never really caught on to. I always thought it was really prosaic to point out something so obvious - "boy, sure is chilly out today." Well, of course it's chilly out - we're in Minnesota, for God's sake. People here legitimately think a good time is to fish through holes in a frozen lake. A couple years ago, there was an ice castle in St. Paul. For all the rest of the country knows, we ride penguins and reindeers instead of driving cars.

So right, I really don't get the fascination with talking about the weather. It's fairly obvious. Although then again, it's probably a bit less inflammatory social topic then me speaking extemporaneously on why I think Tom Emmer is a nutjob who will run the state into the ground.

But anyways, point being, all of a sudden, it got real frickin' cold up here. And truly, it was a real sudden change of pace. For the longest time, we had this weird Indian summer thing going on. Frankly, I'm glad it got a bit cooler, but I would have preferred a more gradual transition. As I've discussed with numerous folks, I'm fairly certain I look best in fall clothes. Not quite so awkward.

One thing I really enjoy about fall, and cool weather, is the attendant changes in what we'll call "life philosophies." And by that, I mean those subjective pleasantries that seem to crop up at this time of year. Here, in no particular order, are some of the greatest beneficiaries of fall.

1 - Pumpkin - why the hell can't this be in everything, all the time? Oh right, cause it's a fall food. Speaking of pumpkin though, I've found a new appreciation for pumpkin ale.

2 - Coffee in mid-afternoon - wait a second, this is normal anyways.

3 - Oktoberfest beers - I'm enjoying a Lake Superior Oktoberfest as I type. I do have a fondness for Summit, but Sam Adams (!) makes a mean one too, if we're talking about the Colonies.

4 - The Blues - I'm listening to a just purchased Jimmy Smith album right now. . . life-changing

5 - Sigur Rós - I think this goes back to Notts, but fall always reminds me of Sigur Rós. I think I'll blame that on Brando.

6 - Gourds - what a hilarious word

7 - The Walk From My Car to the Law School - I usually park about two and a half blocks away from Hamline, and have to walk to school from my car. The best days are those cool, crisp fall days when the leaves are changing. It's insouciant.

8 - The World Series - something just doesn't feel quite so satisfying though. Oh, that's right...

9 - Nostalgia - I don't know, fall just seems like a nostalgic time of year. Oddly enough, I think it's a good time for new beginnings, and other good things. Bouquets of newly sharpened pencils, and the like.

Go outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment