24 March 2011

Week


Hi folks. It's hard to believe, in the midst of the wildness of work, school, and competition, that in just a titch over a week, I'll be jetting off to Hong Kong for the Vis international commercial arbitration moot. After six months of devoting my life to this competition, to becoming best friends with Alan Redfern and Martin Hunter, to making Room 303 of the Hamline Law Library my second home, it's go time.



Truly, I am absurdly excited. For the longest time, I've felt a bit of an itch to get off of this continent, to go elsewhere, to go somewhere unfamiliar. Furthermore, despite the percentage of my life consumed, I think this international arbitration business is wildly interesting, and this competition personally and professionally fulfilling. My participation in Vis has (essentially) led me to new employment, where I have had the pleasure of writing a substantial portion of an actual international arbitration claimant's brief. Maybe more importantly, it has made me incredibly close with three other individuals I probably never would have met, people I would now probably count amongst my closest friends.

In any event, we're ready. I'm ready to fly 20 hours, I'm ready to eat rhinocerous horn or whatever else, I'm ready to argue the finer points of Milan Rules Art. 20(4), I'm ready to have that confused, stupid American look. Hamline might not be ranked in the US, but we're sure as hell going to be ranked in Hong Kong...

No comments:

Post a Comment