15 May 2011

Mission Accomplished



Folks, it has been a splendid few days since, at approximately 4:20 PM on Thursday afternoon, the 12th of May, I turned in my International Civil Litigation exam, and walked out of Hamline University School of Law a newly liberated man. That was it - the end, the finale, donzos, no more, nada. The End of Law School.

I go to sleep without the Hague Evidence Convention haunting my dreams, my mornings have been spent lazily sipping coffee, rather than hurriedly reading 20 pages of corporate finance text. And on this, a beautiful Minnesota Sunday, instead of trying to critique a mediation, I went for a bike ride. Perhaps it was the wind at my back, but I flew southward on Highway 3 toward Farmington as if I were being pulled by thoroughbreds. I'd like to believe it was just a function of a satisfied mind - well, and legs already battle honed this season (see post before last).

And I do have a satisfied mind, as Johnny Cash so aptly put it. When I was having lunch/drinking delicious beer with a fellow liberated lawyer on Friday, we both looked back on our law school careers with relative contentment. Oh sure, I could have done some things better - I could have stayed as far away from modern real estate as humanly possibly - but overall, I have few complaints. I had the opportunity to spend a month in London at the beginning of school, and at the end, after excrutiating yet rewarding hours spent researching, drafting, and arguing, I was sent to represent Hamline in Hong Kong.

In retrospect, that was the best thing. Unfortunately, Hamline is not Harvard, and it never will be. We suffer from an undeserved reputation at home, and employers look unimpressed at our accomplishments. But having the opportunity to go to a foreign place, and along with my teammate, create that impression anew, that was incredibly satisfying. It was humbling to think that Hamline, and the group of alumni who care so passionately about this moot, put their faith in us to represent well. And we did.

I'm not disillusioned so much to assume that life is easy-peasy from here on out. I, for better or for worse, chose a profession that is long on working late and short on healthy work-life balance. I think I've done alright so far though, and think I will in the future too.

But anyway, another chapter ends, another beings. I have a lot to learn, but I've learned a lot. I'm still trying to decide whether I'm prickish enough to refer to myself as "Dr. Nyquist" - probably not, but I'd imagine it will come out as an argument trump card/drunken statement. In any event, it'll be nice to walk across the stage on Friday in the silly hat and maroon robes, and see what comes next. The last few years, maddening as they have sometimes been, have been a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment