05 July 2009

Fourth of July Recap




I posted some photos from our Fourth of July celebration on my photo site, accessible through the links to the right. I think they're under "Independence Day in London." As you can see, we had quite the day.

We started out by checking out the American Embassy, which we had sort of hoped would have something cool happening. It turns out we were sorely mistaken, as the place was just dead. A couple interesting statutes (FDR and Eisenhower), as well as a nice 9/11 memorial garden thing.

Next, we headed to a pub way on the southwest side of London called The White Horse, which was hosting an American beer festival. And by American beer, I mean Real American beer, not Budweiser or Coors or anything. The place was absolutely packed for the whole time we were there, and that was understandable. They had a plethora of American craft brews, and a lot of them were apparently casks, being pulled in the traditional English fashion. My Fourth of July was made complete when I noticed they had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on the pull. The pub had a blues/folk group playing inside, they were grilling burgers and sausages (not hot dogs) outside, and random Americans filtered in an out. Automatically distinguishable by the various MLB hats or US Soccer jerseys.

Anyways, after that, our group kind of disintegrated. Erik and I wandered around Southwark near London Bridge for a while before stopping into a pub to grab some fish and chips. This pub was definitely advertising-savvy, as they had a featured ale called "Uncle Sam's Independence Ale." Of course, we got it, only to realize it tasted like water. Another American in this pub noticed my subtle Barack Obama shirt, and we toasted to the Fourth of July and Sarah Palin's recent (incoherent) resignation.

So yes, that was my day. No fireworks, no sparklers, not even a hot dog, but a good Fourth of July nonetheless. I am definitely guilty at times of disparaging the US for various reasons, but being abroad will surely temper that with a healthy dose of what is great.

I think today I'll head off to the Tate Modern. I also purchased a ticket to go hear the London Symphony tonight, courtesy of Aunt Ruth. I figured she would have wanted me to hear Brahms 2 and the Sibelius Violin Concerto. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment