19 April 2010

Labyrinthine Things

Hello readers. I apologize for the lack of substantive content lately; there is this thing called law school, that effectively ruins lives. Consequently, ruined lives leave very little time for hilarious blogging, and far too much time for contract theory and the inevitable discovery exception to the exclusionary rule. So right, whoops.

I spent much of my afternoon attempting to comprehend a case with the feds that is positively byzantine in its clarity and ease of understanding. Once home, I decided the weather was too nice to let it go to waste by sitting around inside. That, and I was still mildly concerned about the caloric intake I unwisely consumed courtesy of a lunchtime burrito. So, I pumped up the tires on my bike, packed up my bag, and biked off to Como Park.

Often times, I go back to thinking about what excited me about going to school in an urban environment. I had all these grand ambitions of living a life of culture, of taking advantage of the symphony, of the jazz clubs - so many things. A life that would render regular use of a car unnecessary - after all, cool kids in the city bike, right?

Needless to say, the cruel demands of school, budgetary constraints, and apathy have rendered those grand ambitions somewhat null. That's to be expected though, I think, but that doesn't necessarily make it more palatable from a theoretical standpoint.

Anyways, it was pleasant to bike around the lake, even marginally pleasant (as pleasant as this gets) to read about the Exxon Valdez whilst basking in the Minnesota sun. And, as is my wont, after I finished my tasks, I biked up to the labyrinth they have, and I walked it. I don't know why, but I'm quite fascinated by labyrinths, I find them extremely calming, relaxing. And of course, they get you thinking. I always try to not think about anything at all, to just focus on my breathing and my footsteps as I make my way along - but that never works. I inevitably just start thinking.

Prosaic as it is, life has a funny way of taking those sorts of labyrinthine turns. I've had a few of those in my day, actually my recent days. You get to thinking, what the hell is the point of this apparently pointless situation? And I really have yet to answer that, both for myself and others. It's so inane to say that it inevitably leads to a conclusion (like a labyrinth), or that something comes out of it. From my own attempts to justify these things, that is a bullshit answer, which doesn't solve much of anything.

It's not worth living in self-pity, and I think I do a fairly good job of avoiding that. It's also not worth thinking too hard about these unanswerable things. But it is worth thinking about the hard decisions that arise out of them, to a certain extent. It's very difficult to come to grips with current realities that you don't want to face, but I suppose it's just the way the cookie crumbles in some situations. I suppose we can just only hope that eventually, we make our way to the center.

Blah, there's my greeting-card-esque philosophizing for the week. Since we're on the subject though, I don't think it makes much sense to have a labyrinth devoted to world peace right off of busy Lexington Parkway. All that traffic does not inspire me to world peace. It doesn't inspire me to local peace. In fact, I don't think it inspires me to much of anything.

Except that I should ride my bike more often...

No comments:

Post a Comment