02 January 2011

The Mountains

Friends, hello from Colorado - home to many fine craft beers, many medical marijuana dispensaries, and of course, many ski resorts! I've indulged in two of the three above listed activities thus far in my travels - I'll let you guess which two. Needless to say, I'm tired right now.

I always forget, how utterly Terrifying mountain terrain is, and I mean "Terrifying" in the classical sense. I'm absolutely amazed that human being survived in this type of environment 150 years ago or whenever. I'm absolutely amazed one can build a double decker freeway through a twisting canyon. Maybe I'm easily amazed, but it's still impressive.

You know what else is impressive? Skiing in Terrifying mountains. Last time I went skiing for realsies, in the mountains, was 2006 in Chamonix. Needless to say, it took a little getting used to today. Of course, given that fact, I had planned to take it a bit easier today. Funny how plans change, especially when you find yourself on the lip of black/double black diamond bowl with 30 mph wind gusts whipping snow at your face. Well, I suppose the best plans are doomed to fail anyways...

I'm sure I'll regret it tomorrow when my legs give way and I fall out of bed.

Anyways, Copper Mountain has been duly conquered; now the challenge is Aspen. Hopefully, in between sipping Dom Perignon and munching organic foie gras (does that exist?), I'll find time to do some skiing. It is Aspen, after all...

1 comment:

  1. did i know you were going to colorado...? sounds like you are having a great time, enjoy the skiing!

    ReplyDelete