02 September 2009

Album of the Week: Gimme Fiction


Hello folks, welcome back to the ever popular "Album of the Week" feature. This is where I tell you what music I've been listening to, why I like it, and why you, the reader, should also like it. This week's album is "Gimme Fiction," by Spoon.

Now let me be up front. I am not, nor do I claim to be any sort of indie rock connossieur. For street credibility purposes, I do have an 89.3 The Current window cling on my car. I do consider myself an avid fan of indie rock, or whatever you want to call what they play on The Current, but I can't say I seek out new and exciting music with my every spare moment.

I do have this one Spoon album though, and it's inspired me to check out some more of their stuff. I think the buzzword for this album is "eclectic." The tracks here definitely run the gamut, from a sort of quasi-classical/operatic rock tune (The Beast and the Dragon, Adored), to Prince-ish glam rock (I Turn My Camera On), to acoustic pseudo-ballad (I Summon You).

However, within the varying styles, there is a musical constant which pulls everything together. I think it can mainly be pointed to lead singer Britt Daniel's raspy vocals. Maybe raspy is not quite the adjective to use. Maybe "rough" would be a bit better. In any event, if Britt Daniel were to come up to me on the street, I would probably be struck with an uncontrollable urge to offer him a lozenge.

But you know, the roughness of the vocals works well, because they help to bring some of the more eclectic styles down to earth. It adds an element of familiarity. I'm not typically one to listen to Prince, so on "I Turn My Camera On," I quite welcomed the familiar vocals in order to help ease me into music. That's not to say that Daniel sings in a monotone throughout; indeed there is some rather impressive high range work on the aforementioned track.

If you ask me, this album is worth it simply for the first track, "The Beast and the Dragon, Adored." I say this because the track accomplishes a very impressive balancing act between some fantastic bass piano lines, a steady rock beat, and some grunge-inspired guitar work. The cumulative effect is to create a song that is almost operatic in quality. I can't explain it as well as I'd hoped, but there is a broad sweep to the music which I very much appreciate.

Another highlight is "I Summon You." I've heard this track get some pretty substantial airplay on 89.3, and I can understand why. It's the kind of song that goes perfectly with driving with the windows down on a sunny day. Preferably fast, with not a care in the world. If that's not enough of a word-picture, I don't know what will suffice. Another song I particularly enjoy is "Sister Jack." The vocals have some nice harmony, there's a nice easy 90's-ish guitar line, and a catchy, bold refrain.

So yes, Spoon's "Gimme Fiction." If you're in the mood for an eclectic, yet cohesive work of indie/alt rock, I would recommend you go out and purchase this album immediately. Its certainly inspired me to check out Spoon's music further.

Feed your ears!

1 comment:

  1. Hey-

    Glad the Album of the Week is back-

    Have you listened to any of Jack White's non White Stripes stuff? I have two of his racontours (spelling is way off on that) albums.

    Might be worth a listen, esp. to boost your cred.

    Hope school is going well-

    Rocking the Physics here-

    Kris

    ReplyDelete