16 September 2009

Album of the Week: The Great Summit/The Master Takes



First off, the fact that this week's album features both Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington should be sufficient for you all to immediately go out and get this. I really shouldn't have to write anything.

But, since it's customary for me to write something for every album I review, I suppose you'll all have to put up with a little overkill.

Here's the deal folks; there's a pretty strong argument to be made that Duke Ellington is the greatest American composer of the twentieth century. And I won't pretend to be neutral here, I subscribe to that view. Along that vein, there's a pretty damn good reason that Louis Armstrong is known as "Pops," i.e.; the grandfather of jazz. So just by basis of reputation, I can't see how this album can be anything other than brilliant.

Luckily, you don't even have to mess around with that question, since this album is in fact, brilliant.

All the tunes on this album are Ellington compositions. What I think is extremely interesting is that Duke plays with Armstrong's band. In all the other Ellington collaboration albums I have, Duke either brings portions of his own band, or at leasts switches off with the other artist. For example, in "Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins," you have Duke's band, plus Hawkins. In the Coltrane collaboration, there is a switch off between Duke's band, and Coltrane's band.

For those of you not familiar with jazz history, if there was one thing that Ellington's big bands were characterized by, it was loyalty. The guys in that band stuck with him, so you have a strong sense of continuity, as well as how to play Ellington's compositions. Thus, I think it shows some serious faith on Duke's part on this album, in that he's willing to trust Armstrong and his band to do justice to his material. And let me tell you, he trusted the right man. Every track on this album is simply fantastic.

Duke plays piano on all the tracks, so there certainly is a familiar "backbone" to the music here. But obviously, you don't have some of the trademark instrumentals that you associate with the Ellington band, since they're not playing. No Johnny Hodges, no Cootie Williams, no Roy Nance, etc. However, Armstrong's band does a fantastic job of channeling some of those unique Ellington soundbites, while still maintaining musical independence. So while Armstrong trombonist Trummy Young doesn't have quite the growl of Tricky Sam Nanton here, there's a sufficient enough growl to know that this is vintage Ellington trombone, on vintage Ellington standards. It really gives the music a bit of a "new car" feel.

And of course, who can say enough about Louis Armstrong? His presence is everywhere, from his regal trumpet solos to his inimitable singing. I don't know, I've listened to this album through twice today, and the depth of his vocal interpretations is really getting to me, in a good way. He sings the Ellington songbook like he's stepping into an old shoe, but it never sounds like an old shoe.

Although every track is essential, I've found myself particularly into "Black and Tan Fantasy," "The Mooche," "Solitude," and "I Got It Bad." Partially some of these songs are due to nostalgia; "The Mooche" in particular brings back some extremely fond memories of playing Ellington at Luther.

Here's the thing folks; Ellington is a special breed. Louis Armstrong is a special breed. If there's ever a reason to be proud of America, like Twins baseball and apple pie, these two deserve to be mentioned in the same breath. If you want music that comes from the soul, from the very pit of the essence that is jazz, you need to listen to this album. After two listens, I surely put it near the Newport recording as my favorite Ellington album. And it definitely has to be considered essential listening, in the same vein as "Kind of Blue."

Another point that strikes me, this is geezer power at its best. In the mist of all these young bucks (Davis, Coltrane, Coleman, etc) doing all this crazy shit in the 1960's, here's Ellington and Armstrong showing their punk-asses how it's done. Know what I'm sayin'?

And let me tell you, aside from the artistic value of this music, this album is simply fun to listen to. It's the sort of accessible music that nearly anyone can enjoy, even for those who don't know jazz. Put it on at dinner, put it on with your friends, definitely put it on for the ladies, it is simply fantastic.

I can't recommend this enough. Go listen to this.

1 comment: