25 September 2009

Album of the Week: Maurizio Pollini - Mozart Piano Concert No. 23, Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 5 "Emperor"



Hello folks, good evening. I figured I'd dial back the clock a bit on this week's album, and tonight, we're going way back. Holding it down classical style, with a bit of romanticism thrown in for good measure. That's right folks, two main men, Mozart and Beethoven, throwing down a pair of wicked good piano concertos, as played by a snappily dressed Italian man. If that doesn't get your heart rate pumping, maybe you have the swine flu.

You know, I am partial to Mr. Beethoven. I daresay that my favourite classical piece of all time stems from Beethoven's enchanted pen, that being his Ninth Symphony. Call it cliché if you want, but you'll shut up once you listen to it. Beethoven of course, is a master of emotion, of visceral power. If Beethoven were to be transplanted to the 21st century, I think he might be a hipster.

Mozart, on the other hand, is a master of the classical style, a connossieur of rhythm, form, and structure. I've always found Mozart to be a lot easier to listen to, if you can train your ear to be partial to it. To me, Mozart is what I play when I really need to concentrate. I think he'd be an accountant.

Quite fittingly, I started listening to this album this week while doing homework in the law library. I was in the mood for some classical, saw that this was on my future phone, and put it on. Oddly enough, I think the most striking piece for me on this album is the Mozart piano concerto. Mainly, this has to do with the 2nd movement. It has to be one of the most heartaching, haunting melodies Mozart ever put together. One of those moments where I had to just put down my highlighter, put down my pencil, lean back in my chair, and just drink in the sonic cup that overfloweth into my eardrums. Simply fantastic.

The "Emperor" concerto of course, is equally fantastic, in a much different way. Honestly, I've spent more time listening to the Mozart piece, since I was initially more unfamiliar with that one, so I can't claim to have gained any great expertise on Beethoven's contribution here. What I can say with certainty, is that there is a moment in the first movement, that makes me want to quit school, and become a concert pianist.

So yes, if you are a classical lover, you need to relax, you need to unwrap your brain from the coming H1N1 pandemic, any of the above; you need to listen to this. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment