18 January 2010

Halfway

At approximately 9:31 AM tomorrow, I'll be a minute into the slow downward slide of law school. 3 semesters down, 3 to go. Start your engines, or something.

In retrospect, I've had a month off from school. I can't say I have any earth-shattering conclusions to share from that experience; except to repeat the age-old adage that finding a routine again in the midst of 30 days of goblidigook will be challenging. But I did have a few minor accomplishments.

1 - Read a book for pleasure
2 - Started my internship
3 - Did not go into debt
4 - Visited friends
5 - Went skiing
6 - Sent flowers
7 - Saw "Avatar" in 3D
8 - Generally survived the holiday season

This is going to be an intense semester, especially with the added weight of the gig with the U.S. Attorney's office. I think that will probably be okay though. Last semester, I felt like I wasted a lot of my time, in ways which I can't even remember. It just seemed like time disappeared without anything productive coming out of it. So, I think that's a goal; to utilize my free time a little more wisely. I took a cue from a friend, I've started hanging out at a local bookstore, and when I'm done studying, I just read for a little bit. Just grab an interesting looking book and read. I think it helps me from being sucked into the time vortex that is the internet, and it helps keep my mind a little clearer from any personal issues that may be swirling about. In any event, hopefully I'll continue that.

Plus, I think I need to read some more books in general. I think I need to expand my view of what the status quo is, at least in my personal literary compendium. During a conversation on the way back to Iowa City the other night, I felt hopelessly outmatched in terms of intellectual might, mainly because I hadn't read some books. So, maybe I'll try to remedy that a bit.

In any event, my 9:30 date with Admiralty is coming sooner rather than later. Time to call it a night.

1 comment:

  1. Wait wait wait.....Iowa City and the other night? Were you here without my knowing?

    ReplyDelete