14 January 2010

Weekly Digest - 14/1/10

New futuristic year, new futuristic semi-regular feature. At work, we get these emails during the day; digests of news someone thinks we'll find interesting. As you would expect, it's all legal news, crap about indictments, settlements, that sort of thing. So, in the interest of reporting on those blog-worthy things that don't deserve entire blogs, here we go.

1 - Pastrami

Pastrami sandwiches are delicious. I realized that today, when I had one for lunch at the Federal Cafe. I would have preferred a bit more pastrami, perhaps some more heartily toasted toast, but all in all, I refuse to complain.

2 - Haiti

I've been reading the news about the earthquake that hit Port-au-Prince, and the images and stories streaming out of Haiti are simply heartbreaking. It definitely makes you think a lot about the fragility of life; so many lives, instantly wiped off the planet. No notice, no chance to get one's affairs in order, nothing. It is a most unsettling thought, and I've been thinking a lot about the folks affected by this. Here's hoping good comes their way.

On a related note, I learned today that a fellow from Luther, who was a couple years older than me, died in the quake. He was a seminary student teaching Haitian pastors. I didn't know him, maybe I recognized him, but anytime something like this happens, I guess you do get a sense of the Luther community. Well, that's terrible.

3 - United States Attorney

It is true, I have started as a law clerk with the U.S. Attorney's office for the District of Minnesota. For someone whose entire work experience consists of being a pharmacy tech at Walgreens, it is a shocking experience.

It is shocking to have actual responsibility in a professional field. It's shocking to have to be buzzed into the office behind what appears to be bulletproof glass. A lot of things are also shocking, but it's shocking to have work that is directly going to impact someone's liberty. And it was shocking to discover the secret city also known as the Minneapolis skyway system. Why the hell would I be buying a painting of Brett Favre in the skyway?

4 - Mad Men

I'm sorry, this show is my cultural crack. The melodrama has me trapped in its jaw-like vice.

5 - Illinois

I'm going on a quest tomorrow, an epic quest to eastern Illinois. The purpose? Like most of these trips are, pretend that it's two years ago and play trombone. For some reason, it never gets old.

No comments:

Post a Comment