28 February 2010

Trombone Player of the Week - Mad Max

Full disclosure - I've never actually seen "Mad Max," the Mel Gibson flick. I have no idea what it's about. As such, it bears utterly no relation to this week's trombone player.

I invite you to imagine a man, a man who finds it within himself to wear what can only be charitably described as prescription motorcycle goggles at all times. Prescription goggles so strong, they're the kind where you can visibly see a major distortion in looking at the guy's eyes. Mad Max also has a big Abe Lincoln beard, an omnipresent denim shirt, and slicked back hair almost fuming with pommade. He also plays a straight horn, adding to his daredevil persona.

Now, the most amazing thing to me about Mad Max is the aforementioned prescription goggles - they are really a sight to behold. I realize I'm fairly minimalist when it comes to eyewear, my own glasses are little more than two pieces of plastic flimsily attached by a couple strips of metal. I can appreciate the benefits that more substantial glasses could bring. But it takes a bold, bold person to wake up in the morning and put on a pair of goggles. Surely, he has to have a motorcycle. I guess my question would be, why not just get another pair of glasses? Maybe a pair without flames on the sides? (really).

I suppose all things considered, in the alien menagerie that is trombone choir, a man with a beard wearing prescription goggles is relatively benign.

I don't really know what that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment